Linus Torvald never knew that his own creation; a personal project of a free operating system would become so popular one day with numerous users preferring Linux and considering it the best among many. What was done with the integration of GNU components to make a functional Operating System, is today among the top choices of the developers.
Below mentioned are some of the amazing facts about Linux that will amaze the both Linux users and the non-users as well!!
Some Amazing Facts About Linux
- Way back when Linux project begun, it occupied only 65 KB. Today, there are 10 million lines of source code in even a single Linux kernel.
- The New York Stock Exchange is powered by Linux.
- Linux is also used extensively by the department of Defence of the US. Furthermore, the nuclear submarines of the state are also run by nuclear submarines.
- Most of the tech giants Google, Amazon and Facebook for their web and cloud services favor Linux. In fact, they consider Linux as their first choice.
- To all those who think that once they start using Linux, they will be stuck in one operating system, they are actually unaware of a great plus point. Linux can be used side by side with Microsoft Windows on the same computer using a software called Cooperative Linux (coLinux).
- Linux is used in Japan’s bullet trains in order to maintain and manage the sophisticated Automatic Train Control System. Moreover, inside Toyota, the In-Vehicle-Infotainment technology (IVI) and other automobiles Linux Platform is used.
- With the passage of time when it was first put in the open source category, Linux has expanded exponentially. In total Linus Torvald’s codes, account for only 2% of the codes present in the kernel.
- Behind Linux being called as the King of Supercomputing, is the reason that Linux comes among the 500 fastest supercomputers of the world.
- Once you think of becoming a developer or when you kick start your education leading to graduation, you are taught mostly the basics including the C language. Have you ever wondered why is that so? It is because the major part of code in Windows, Linux and Mac is written in C language. This is the reason that when you plan on becoming a developer you are first taught the basics.
- It is on the Linux kernel upon which the best smartphones such as Android and Maemo are built.
- Linux with its capabilities has managed to have a special place in Hollywood. The amazing visual effects that were observed in Titanic and Avatar were developed in 3D applications on the Linux platform.
Aforementioned were some facts about Linux, that are enough to amaze us that behind the fulfillment of much bigger things is Linux whose following keeps on increasing day by day.